Medicare Supplement Plan F
Medicare Supplement Plan F is a highly popular choice among Medicare beneficiaries across the United States. Medigap Plan F is the plan that will offer you the most benefits out of all of the different Medigap plans that are available for Medicare beneficiaries who are a part of the U.S. government Medicare plan.
What is covered by Medicare Supplement Plan F?
These are some of the highlights of coverage that you can enjoy helping with medical expenses on top of what the federal Medicare program covers:
- Medicare Part A deductible and Medicare Part B deductible
- Medicare Part A hospital and coinsurance costs
- Medicare Part B deductible, coinsurance, and copayments
- Medicare Part B excess charges
- Medicare Part B coinsurance for preventative care
- First 3 pints of blood per year when needed for a medical procedure
- Foreign travel emergency medical expenses
- Co-insurance for skilled nursing facility care
What is not covered by Medicare Supplement Plan F?
Some of the things that you will need to cover yourself are listed here:
- Prescription drug costs
- Homeopathic treatments
- Eye exams, eyeglass or contacts
- Dental care and dentures
- Foot-related care that is not related to any medical conditions
- Hearing tests or hearing aids
- Assistance with custodial care
- Surgeries that are purely for cosmetic purposes
Of course, there are things that you can do to save money on the medical expenses that aren’t covered by Medicare or Medicare Supplement Plan F. For example, signing up for Medicare Part D will help you cover your prescription drug costs, and there are dental discount plans that can help you save on dental care.
How much does Medicare Plan F cost?
Here are the prices for a 65-year-old, non-smoking female living in 33132 Florida:
65-Year-Old Female Non-smoking
Plan F $159.94 - $196.82
These are the three different ways that insurance companies calculate these rates for a regular Plan F or a high-deductible Plan F option:
- Community-Rated – Companies that use this method to determine Medigap Plan F rates charge all beneficiaries the same amount for coverage, regardless of their age or any health conditions they might have.
- Issue Age – With this form of calculation for Medicare Plan F rates, insurance companies base rates off of your age when signing up. With this type of pricing, it’s best to sign up at the youngest age possible, since rates will not go up as you age.
- Attained Age – Your Medicare Supplement Plan F rates change as you age with this form of pricing. Generally, pricing will go up as you get older.
How is Medicare Plan F different than Plan G?
- The only difference between the two plans is that Medicare Plan F covers the Part B deductible. Plan G does not cover this deductible. Otherwise, the two plans are exactly the same.
- Monthly premium amounts are lower for Plan G and generally make up for the cost of the Part B deductible that isn’t covered.
- With either plan, you don’t have to worry about network restrictions.
When can I enroll in Plan F?
You can actually enroll in Medicare Supplement Plan F at any time. However, if possible, it is best to enroll during the Medigap Open Enrollment Period. This is the six months after you turn 65 years of age and sign up for Medicare Part A and Part B.
This is the best time to sign up for additional benefits in the form of a Supplement plan because there is no medical underwriting, and you will not be asked any health questions. Plus, you can’t be turned down for a Medicare Supplement plan during this period.
Even though Open Enrollment is the best time to sign up, this does not mean that you can’t or shouldn’t sign up for a plan, though. Just be aware that any health conditions that you have can impact your ability to purchase a plan and can impact your rates. We can still help you compare options and save on health care costs, though, by helping you find a health insurance provider that will offer you one of the Medicare Supplement plans. We will even help you find the best rates, regardless of your situation. Then, you can enjoy the best benefits, even if you missed your Open Enrollment period.
Call to speak with a licensed insurance agent now.(888) 414-4547
Or enter your zip code to shop online