Medicare Supplement Plans in Maine
Medicare Supplement plans in Maine cover some medical expenses not paid by Original Medicare (Part A and Part B). After Medicare pays 80% of the approved amount on a claim, you are responsible for the following out-of-pocket costs:
Medigap policies are designated by a letter:
- Each letter offers the same benefits regardless of the Medigap insurance company selling the policy.
- Benefits differ between plans.
- Plan options depend on when you are first eligible for Medicare benefits.
- Seniors eligible before Jan. 1, 2020, can choose from 10 plans: Plans A, B, C, D, F, G, K, L, M, and N.
- Seniors eligible starting Jan. 1, 2020, can choose from eight plans: Plans A, B, D, G, K, L, M, and N.
You might also have to pay other costs, such as Part B excess charges, if you see a doctor who does not participate in Medicare or expenses related to a foreign travel emergency when traveling abroad. Medicare Supplement plans in Maine pay for some or all of these costs and help you curb high medical expenses.
Here is a quick look at the best Medigap plans for 2023 in terms of coverage and costs.
Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan G
Cigna Plan G provides a comprehensive coverage plan with remarkable benefits to all Medicare beneficiaries. With Plan G, many out-of-pocket costs are covered apart from the deductible for Medicare Part B making it an attractive option for seniors who need additional health insurance protection.
Choosing Plan G offers several key advantages:
- Coverage for Part B excess charges, Medicare Part A deductible, and Part B coinsurance.
- No referrals are required.
- Freedom to see any medical provider willing to accept Original Medicare.
Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan N
If you're seeking an inexpensive plan with lower premiums than Medicare Plans F or G, then look no further than Cigna Medicare Plan N. It is the ideal solution to get quality coverage at a cost-effective price.
Plan N offers several benefits, including but not limited to:
- Skilled nursing facilities
- $0 Part A deductible
- Foreign travel emergency healthcare
- Maximum $20 copay for office visits
- Maximum $50 copay for an ER visit (waived if admitted)
Mutual Of Omaha High Deductible Medigap Plan G
- If you're looking to save money while still getting the same benefits of a Medicare Supplement Plan G, then Mutual Of Omah High-Deductible Plan G is a great option.
- This policy mirrors Plan G's coverage, yet beneficiaries will have to pay the $2,700 deductible before they are able to gain access to these benefits.
Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan F
- Cigna Medicare Plan F offers the most expansive coverage out there, incorporating your Part A and B deductibles in addition to all related coinsurances. However, please remember that you must have been enrolled prior to January 1st of 2020 if you wish to be eligible for these advantages.
How Much Does a Medigap Plan Cost in Maine?
The best price for Medicare Supplement Plan G in Maine is $209.78 per month with Cigna.
Your age and plan choice will have the most significant impact on your premium.
Here you can see how the prices compare for several different plans:
High Deductible G
Plan Popularity in Maine
Quotes are for sample purposes only. Prices are the average monthly rate in Maine for a 65-year-old female nonsmoker. Part B start date and or medical underwriting may affect your rate.
When can I apply for a Medicare Supplement plan?
When you first sign up for Medicare Part B, you have a six-month Medigap Open Enrollment Period. Most beneficiaries enroll in Part B when they turn 65 and enroll in Social Security. However, if you are still working, you might choose to delay enrolling in Part B.
In Maine, individuals under 65 also have an Open Enrollment Period when they first enroll in Part B. Then, they have another Open Enrollment Period when they turn 65.
Joining a Medigap plan in Maine during open enrollment is preferred because you have guaranteed issue rights:
- The insurer must provide coverage for the plan you choose.
- The insurance company must cover pre-existing conditions.
- Carriers cannot charge you more because of your health condition.
Outside open enrollment
Maine Medicare beneficiaries have a few other opportunities to join a supplement plan outside of open enrollment and still have guaranteed issue rights:
- Each Medicare insurance company must designate one month each year when it will accept registration in Plan A. Plan A only covers the primary benefits:
- Part A coinsurance
- Part B coinsurance (after meeting the deductible)
- First 3 pints of blood
- Hospice care coinsurance
- If you lose coverage for one of the following health plans and apply for a Medicare Supplement insurance plan within 90 days: Individual health plan, Group health coverage, MaineCare
- If you change to another supplement plan that has equal or lesser benefits: Can keep the same insurer or switch carriers,
- You must not have had more than a 90-day gap in supplemental coverage since your Open Enrollment Period.
Guaranteed issue can be complicated. However, our licensed insurance agents can provide you with specific information about your situation.
When can I change Medigap plans?
Unlike Advantage and Medicare Part D plans, there is no annual election period where you can change your Medicare Supplement plan and be guaranteed coverage. However, you can submit a switch in plans; it will be subject to underwriting and could have a higher premium. Maine law does provide guaranteed issue rights in limited situations where you can change plans.
Can I be denied Medigap coverage?
Coverage is guaranteed if you join during your Open Enrollment Period or qualify for special enrollment. Otherwise, private insurance companies can deny coverage or charge you more.
Ready to Learn More?
We help educate Medicare beneficiaries on their Medigap options and help them go through the process of reviewing and comparing plans. We work with most of the nation's top-rated Medigap carriers, such as Aetna, Cigna, Mutual of Omaha, and Florida Blue Medicare plans. So give us a call or request a quote online to learn more about Aetna Medicare Supplement plan G and Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplement plan G in your state. We educate you on the best Medicare Plans for your situation, then let you decide.
- Medicare Supplement insurance, also called Medigap insurance, is extra health care insurance that adds to your Medicare coverage. It pays for costs such as Part A deductible and Part A and B coinsurance. Private health insurance companies sell Medigap policies in Maine.
- There are 10 Medicare Supplement plans in Maine to choose from.
- In Maine, Medicare Supplement Plan G is the most popular plan for 2023.
Call to speak with a licensed insurance agent now.(888) 414-4547
Or enter your zip code to shop online