Best Medicare Supplement Plans in Iowa
Also known as Medigap, Medicare Supplement insurance in Iowa pays coinsurance, deductibles, copayments, and other costs that Medicare beneficiaries are supposed to pay. There are 10 Medicare Supplement plans in Iowa, designated by the letters A through D, F, G, and K through N.
- In Iowa, Medicare Supplement Plan G is the best overall plan for 2022.
Plan F and Plan N are considered by many to be the best after Plan G.
Best Overall: Medicare Supplement Plan G
– Plan G is the Medigap Plan in Iowa if you joined Medicare after the effective date of 1/1/20.
– This plan is suitable for beneficiaries with pre-existing conditions.
– When compared to Plan F, this plan has better cost savings.
Best Value: Medicare Supplement Plan N
– Medicare Plan N is great for those who don't mind trading some benefits for a cheaper monthly premium.
– Medigap Plan N covers 100% of Plan B coinsurance, but you're responsible for doctor's visit copays up to $20 and emergency room visit copays of $50. If you are admitted, the $50 copay is waived for the ER.
Best Low Cost Option: High Deductible Medigap Plan G
– High Deductible Plan G also has an annual deductible to be met before coverage.
– Reduced monthly rates like the high deductible Plan F.
Best Full Coverage: Medicare Supplement Plan F
– Medicare Plan F is the most comprehensive benefit level in Iowa as long as the enrollee joined Medicare before 1/1/20.
– Plan F includes both Medicare Part A deductible and Medicare Part B deductible.
Medicare Supplement Insurance cost in Iowa
The average cost will depend on the insurer because their pricing will be based on community ratings, issue age, and attained Age,
Community Rating: is priced for beneficiaries of all ages.
Issue Age: is based on the Age at purchasing and premiums for
Attained Age: will increase as the Medicare beneficiary ages
For a 65-year-old female (non-smoker) living in Iowa, Polk County (50047), the average cost will be $100.00 for a Medicare Supplement Insurance plan.
65-Year Old Female Non-tobacco
Plan G $108.21 - $221.02
Plan N $79.30 - $160.02
When can I apply for a Medicare Supplement plan?
You can apply within the six-month Medigap Open Enrollment period. This will be the best time to gain Medicare benefits because pricing and plan options from a Medicare insurance company are better during this period. For age specifics, see below.
Age 65 or older:
– Enrollment begins when you have Part B.
– It can't be changed or repeated.
– On the first day of your birthday month, the six-month period to enroll begins.
– Enrollment in Part B will be needed.
– Enrollment may not be possible.
– If you have a disease or syndrome, you will qualify for Medicare under the Age of 65.
– Some states do require Medigap insurance companies to sell policies. These plans do generally cost more.
Enrollment periods do not apply to Medicare supplement plans. They only apply to:
– Part D Plans and Medicare Advantage
– Aging into the Federal Medicare Program
– Retiring from group coverage
– Losing a Medicare Advantage plan
When receiving Social Security, SSA will automatically sign you up and handle your enrollment for Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B at the Age of 65. The federal Centers operate the Federal Medicare Program for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
Note: You have guaranteed issue rights, so an insurance company can't refuse to sell you a Medigap policy if a Medicare Advantage Plan leaves Medicare, stops providing in your area, or moves out of the plan's service area.
When can I change Medigap plans?
Changing Medigap plans can be done at any point. However, when applying outside the initial enrollment period, you could be denied coverage or have your rates increased due to a health condition or medical issues.
Can I be denied Medigap coverage?
In Iowa, you cannot be denied coverage for a Medicare insurance policy unless you are outside an enrollment period. When outside your enrollment period, you may be accepted at a higher premium or have coverage delayed until the next enrollment period.
Ready to Learn More?
We help educate Medicare beneficiaries on their Medigap options and help them go through the process of reviewing and comparing plans. We work with most of the nation's top-rated Medigap carriers, such as Aetna, Cigna, Mutual of Omaha, and Florida Blue Medicare plans. So give us a call or request a quote online to learn more about Aetna Medicare Supplement plan G and Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplement plan G in your state. We educate you on the best Medicare Plans for your situation, then let you decide.
Call to speak with a licensed insurance agent now.(888) 414-4547
Or enter your zip code to shop online