Best Medicare Supplement Plans in Illinois
Medicare Supplement plans in Illinois, also called Medigap, help pay for deductibles and coinsurance that Original Medicare doesn't cover. Many people assume that the Medicare benefits from Original Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B are sufficient for reducing their out-of-pocket costs for healthcare.
There are 10 Medicare Supplement plans to choose from.
In Illinois, Medicare Supplement Plan G is the best overall plan for 2022.
Plan F and Plan N are considered by many to be the best after Plan G.
Medicare Supplement Plan G: Best Comprehensive Coverage
For Medicare beneficiaries who enrolled in Medicare after January 1, 2020, Medicare Plan G offers the most comprehensive coverage of all Medicare Supplement plans in Illinois.
Plan G also offers cost savings for anyone eligible for Plan F too.
Medicare Supplement Plan N: Best Value
Medigap Plan N offers:
- Economical monthly premiums in exchange for rich benefits. It would help if you compared the benefits you get with Plan N to what other plans offer to ensure that the lower monthly premiums are worth it.
- One hundred percent of Medicare Part B coinsurance apart from outpatient copays up to $20.00 and emergency room copays of $50.00 unless the patient is admitted.
High-deductible Medicare Plan G: Best for Lowest Premiums
High-deductible Plan G requires beneficiaries to meet an annual deductible of $2,490.00 before coverage begins. As a result, premiums are lower than the standard Plan G.
Medicare Supplement Plan F: Best Full Coverage
Medicare Plan F has the most comprehensive coverage because it includes:
- All copayments
- Medicare Part A deductible
- Medicare Part B deductible
- All coinsurance
For eligibility, you must have been enrolled in Original Medicare before January 1, 2020.
Top Medicare Supplement Insurance companies in Illinois
1. Cigna – For a Medigap plan in Illinois, this company is trusted by many and is very knowledgeable about the Medicare enrollment process. Cigna has over 165 million customers and is well established.
2. Aetna – As one of the largest insurance companies, Aetna has extensive extra benefits and more $0 premium Medicare Advantage plans for their customers.
3. Mutual of Omaha – MOH is known for customer satisfaction and is considered financially stable for its customers. Also, they have local agents you can visit in person if needed.
Medicare Supplement Insurance prices in Illinois
Pricing for Medigap policies in Illinois varies between the counties, plan types, insurers, and how they price the plan. Private health insurance companies use either community, issue-age, or attained-age rating systems.
65-Year Old Female Non-tobacco
Plan G $97.90 - $229.16
Plan N $87.98 - $190.39
When can I apply for a Medicare Supplement plan?
During the Medigap Open Enrollment Period
If you are 65 or older
For those aging into Medicare, eligibility for enrollment in a Medicare Supplement insurance plan in Illinois begins on the month you enroll in Medicare Part B (whether at 65 or older) and lasts for six months. If you receive Social Security retirement benefits at age 65, you are automatically enrolled in Medicare.
In Illinois, the Medigap Open Enrollment Period (OEP) is the optimum time to enroll in Medigap because you must be accepted even if you have pre-existing conditions.
If you are younger than 65
The Federal Medicare program doesn't require a Medicare insurance company to sell Medigap plans to those under age 65. However, those under 65 receiving Medicare because of disability can purchase Medicare Supplement insurance during the Open Enrollment Period in Illinois. They also get another six-month Open Enrollment Period when they reach Medicare eligibility at age 65.
If you get notification of eligibility retroactively, your six-month OEP begins on the day you are notified.
Outside OEP with Guaranteed Issue Rights
In Illinois, you can purchase Medicare Supplement insurance if you have guaranteed issue rights. In addition, you may have guaranteed issue rights if you have other health coverage that changes – through an employer or other circumstances.
Because of these rights, private health insurance companies are required by law to do the following:
- Sell Medigap insurance policies to anyone eligible regardless of pre-existing conditions
- Cover all pre-existing health conditions for eligible enrollees
- NOT charge more for the plan because of past or present health conditions
The Annual Election Period (AEP)
The AEP goes from October 15 to December 7. During this enrollment period, Medicare beneficiaries can get Medicare coverage through Medicare Advantage or Medicare Part D plans (prescription drug plans). The AEP does not apply to Medicare Supplement plans.
When can I change Medigap plans?
If you want to switch from one Medigap plan to another, technically, you can do so at any time. However, you may be subject to medical underwriting if you change plans outside your Medigap Open Enrollment Period. Switching plans during OEP protects you from underwriting.
The effective date for your new policy is the first day of the month following the switch.
Can I be denied Medigap coverage?
If you enroll in a Medicare Supplement insurance policy during your Open Enrollment Period, or if you have guaranteed issue rights, you can enroll in any Medigap plan in Illinois without undergoing medical underwriting. This means you cannot be denied coverage during these enrollment periods, regardless of your health status. Ready to learn more?
Ready to learn more?
We help educate Medicare beneficiaries on their Medigap options and help them go through the process of reviewing and comparing plans. We work with most of the nation's top-rated Medigap carriers, such as Aetna, Cigna, Mutual of Omaha, and Florida Blue Medicare plans. Call us today, or request a quote online to learn more about Aetna Medicare Supplement plan G and Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplement plan G in your state. We educate you on the best Medicare Plans for your situation, then let you decide.
Illinois State Links
- Department on Aging in Illinois – learn about the free Senior Health Insurance Program (SHIP)
- Legal Aid Illinois Online Community Care – learn about the Community Care Program that helps seniors live at home comfortably and safely.
- Extra Help application online
- Illinois Social Security offices
- CMS: Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- A Medicare Supplement plan in Illinois can give you peace of mind while improving the quality of medical care you receive in years to come.
Call to speak with a licensed insurance agent now.(888) 414-4547
Or enter your zip code to shop online