Florida Blue Medicare Supplement Plans
Florida Blue has evolved from the original company (Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida) that began selling health insurance in 1929 and is the country’s oldest medical insurer. Florida Blue has been in the Medicare Supplement insurance business since these plans were created. The company’s Medigap plans have an excellent reputation for rate stability, competitive pricing, and customer service.
What Medicare Supplement Insurance plans does Florida Blue offer?
Florida Blue Medicare Supplement Plan G
Medicare Supplement Plan G is almost the same as Medicare Plan F. The only difference in benefits is that Medicare Plan G doesn’t cover Part B’s yearly deductible. Most people now pay $226.00 for this annual deductible in 2023.
Suppose the difference in the monthly premium between Medigap Plan G and Plan F is more than $15 a month. In that case, you can save money by buying Florida Blue Medicare Supplement plan G. In recent years, this plan has become increasingly popular because it gives Medicare recipients a chance to save money without taking a significant risk on benefits.
Florida Blue Medicare Supplement Plan N
Medicare Supplement Plan N benefits are considered a more budget-friendly choice if you want to reduce your premiums and still enjoy comprehensive coverage.
These are things to know about Medicare Plan N benefits:
- Like Plan G, Medigap Plan N benefits do not pay for the Part B deductible.
- Medicare Supplement Plan F and Plan G pay for excess charges or amounts charged higher than Medicare allows. Plan N doesn’t, so you will probably want to be sure that your doctors and other providers accept Medicare Assignment. If they charge more, you may be responsible for the difference in cost.
- Medigap Plan N also requires copays of $20 for doctor’s visits, and your copays have to pay a copay of $50 for some visits to an ER if you are admitted. You should compare benefits and premiums to decide if paying some copays would still work out cheaper.
Florida Blue Medicare Supplement Plan F
Medicare supplement Plan F benefits have attracted about four out of ten of all people who purchase Medigap plans from this company. Florida Blue Medicare Plan F will give you all the allowed base benefits the government provides for any Medicare policy. Typically, this also means that the premiums are higher than they are for other choices. If you’re the kind who would instead let your insurer manage your medical costs, you are likely to be happy with Medicare Supplement plan F.
Plan F pays:
- Inpatient Medicare Part A hospital coinsurance
- The hospital costs up to 365 days after benefits through Original Medicare are exhausted
- Part A hospice care copays or ccopaysance
- Part A calendar year deductible
- Medicare Part B deductible
- Outpatient Part B preventive care and office visit coinsurance
- Part B coinsurance or copays
- First three pints of blood needed for a medical procedure
- Coinsurance for care in a skilled nursing facility
- Limited foreign travel emergency care
- NOTE: Medigap plans do not cover prescription drug coverage; you will need a separate prescription drug plan.
How Much Do Blue Medigap plans cost?
These are for a 65-year-old female who lives in Florida and does not use tobacco:
As you would expect, Plan F is usually the most expensive. In this example, Plan G is cheap enough to make up for the Part B deductible that it doesn’t pay. But, of course, it’s impossible to promise that prices will remain the same in the future.
65-Year Old Female Non-tobacco
Plan F $196.70
Plan G $181.80
Plan N $163.30
Florida Blue Perks:
You can use Forever 65, the issue-age pricing program to maintain control over the rates for your Florida Medigap plans forever. With this program, you can pay the same as a 65-year-old member when you are 85 or 95.
Florida Blue365 Rewards
Like all Florida Medigap companies, Florida Blue can only offer the basic benefits that Medicare allows for each supplement. However, many companies offer membership programs that give their customers access to health-related discounts.
Some examples of Blue365Rewards include:
- Dental Solutions dental network discounts
- EyeMed vision exam and eyewear discounts
- Gym Network 360 fitness club membership discounts
- You get a 30-day money-back guarantee if you decide to terminate your plan.
- You can visit any doctor or health care in the country that accepts Original Medicare.
- You won’t need a referral from a primary doctor to see a specialist.
- You can be one of the nine out of ten people satisfied with their Medicare Supplement plans.
If you decide to travel, you can use your Medigap plan almost anywhere in the country where Medicare is accepted. Some of these supplements even cover foreign travel urgent care. Many retirees hope to spend time roaming around the country or even overseas, so this plan can offer a lot of freedom and peace of mind.
When can I apply for a Medigap plan?
With that said, there are some periods when it is better for some Medicare beneficiaries to compare and apply for Medigap plans:
- For instance, you always get Guaranteed Enrollment Rights when you first qualify for Original Medicare at age 65, and this period lasts for the first six months.
- During this time, Florida Blue or any other insurer has to sell you any supplement and cannot do any health underwriting on you.
You may also have other Guaranteed Enrollment Periods if you move to another state, lose coverage from an employer, and so on. These rights are governed both by federal and state laws. Still, you can learn about Florida Open Enrollment for Medicare Supplement plans here on the official website of the Division of Consumer Services.
Can I Qualify for Extra Financial Help?
Here is a list of additional Florida resources that you may be eligible for, including financial assistance:
Florida Shine (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders)
Please note: We are neither Florida Blue Direct nor connected with or endorsed by CMS. This is our personal overview. Please check all of your plan benefits with your insurance company.
Call to speak with a licensed insurance agent now.(888) 414-4547
Or enter your zip code to shop online