Best Medicare Supplement Plans in California
There are over 10 Medicare Supplement plans in California to choose from, these plans can help you cover some of those out-of-pocket costs that Original Medicare does not include, like Medicare Part A deductible and copayments, Medicare Part B coinsurances, Part B excess charges, Foreign travel emergency care.
In California, Medicare Supplement Plan G is the best plan in terms of the most comprehensive coverage for 2022.
Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan G
Medicare Supplement Plan N
High-Deductible Plan G
- Offers same coverage as standard Plan G but must meet annual deductible of $2,490.00 before coverage starts.
- Substantially less expensive than standard Plan G.
Medicare Supplement Plan F
- Medicare Plan F offers the most comprehensive coverage, including all copayments, Part A deductible, Medicare Part B deductible, and all coinsurances.
- Beneficiaries must have enrolled in Original Medicare before January 1, 2020, to be eligible because this plan includes the Medicare Part B deductible.
Medicare Supplement Insurance cost in California
The exact pricing for Medigap policies in California depends on which plan you choose, where you live, personal health conditions, and how your insurer rates monthly premiums.
65-Year Old Female Non-tobacco
Plan G $138.00 - $241.57
Plan N $130.00 - $176.97
When can I apply for a Medicare Supplement plan?
Medigap Open Enrollment Period
Age 65 and up
Eligibility for enrollment in Medigap policies in California begins the month you are 65 – or older – and enrolled in Medicare Part B. This period is called your Medigap Open Enrollment Period and lasts for six months.
The Medigap Open Enrollment Period (OEP) is the best time to enroll in Medigap in California. During OEP you can get a plan even if you have pre-existing conditions.
The effective date for your new plan is the first day of the month following your application.
Younger than 65
Federal law doesn’t require a Medicare insurance company to sell Medigap to people under age 65. However, in California, if you receive Social Security disability benefits or have end-stage renal disease and Medicare coverage, you can purchase at least one type of Medicare Supplement plan.
If you qualify, your OEP begins after you have received Social Security disability benefits for 25 months (non-consecutive).
Outside OEP with Guaranteed Issue Rights
In California, you can purchase a Medicare Supplement insurance policy if you have Guaranteed Issue Rights.
In this case, private health insurance companies are required by law to:
- Sell you a Medigap insurance policy
- Cover any health condition
- NOT charge more
You may qualify for these rights if you have comparative health coverage that changes.
The Annual Election Period (AEP)
The AEP runs from October 15th to December 7th. Medicare beneficiaries can enroll in Medicare Advantage or a Medicare Part D plan.
California Medicare Supplement Birthday Rule
If you are enrolled in a Medigap plan in California, the birthday rule allows you 60 days of open enrollment for Medigap every year after your birthday.
During this time you can:
- Purchase a new Medigap plan
- Avoid medical screening when you switch plans
- Avoid a new waiting period
To be eligible, enrollees must:
- Live in California
- Be currently enrolled in a Medicare Supplement plan in California
- Switch to plans that have equal or lesser benefits
- Switch before the 60-day period ends
California State Resources
- Medi-Cal – Have you noticed those cost-sharing expenses on your Medicare outline of coverage? This program for low-income seniors may help you pay those expenses plus your Part B premiums.
- Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP) – Receive free counseling regarding all aspects of Medicare and long-term care in California. Benefits are available to Medicare participants, their loved ones and anyone soon to enroll in Medicare.
Can I Qualify for Extra Help If I’m Low Income?
Extra Help is a nationwide program that helps seniors and Medicare-eligible disabled residents cover their Medicare Part D deductibles, co-pays and premiums. If you are struggling to pay those expenses on top of your Medigap premium, you can apply through your local Social Security office or with the online form. The amount of help that you receive will depend on your income.
Call to speak with a licensed insurance agent now.(888) 414-4547
Or enter your zip code to shop online