Best Medicare Supplement Plans in California
There are over 10 Medicare Supplement plans in California to choose from, these plans can help you cover some of those out-of-pocket costs that Original Medicare does not include, like Medicare Part A deductible and copayments, Medicare Part B coinsurances, Part B excess charges, Foreign travel emergency care.
Of the ten plans offered, we found these three to be the top plans offered in California:
- We’ve found that Cigna offers the best Medicare Supplement Plan G rates for comprehensive coverage in California, coming in at $155.87 per month.
- Cigna offers the best Medicare Supplement Plan N rates at $113.28 per month. This plan offers excellent coverage, trading off some benefits to lower your monthly premiums.
- Mutual of Omaha’s High Deductible Plan G is the best low-cost option. It is substantially less expensive with the same coverage as Medicare Plan G, coming in at $62.76 per month for a 65-year-old nonsmoking female. There is a deductible of $2,700 that needs to be met before this plan will cover costs.
Below is a highlight of the features and benefits of each plan.
Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan G
- For Medicare beneficiaries, Cigna Plan G is a top-notch option - providing coverage for many of your out-of-pocket costs.
- The only cost not included under this plan is the deductible for Part B.
Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan N
- For those looking to save on their monthly premium costs, Cigna Medicare Plan N is an excellent choice. It may require forfeiting some benefits, but the financial savings can be significant.
If you're considering Plan N, here are just a few of the many advantageous features it provides:
- Skilled nursing facilities
- $0 Part A deductible
- Foreign travel emergency healthcare
- Maximum $20 copay for office visits
- Maximum $50 copay for an ER visit (waived if admitted)
Mutual Of Omaha High-Deductible Plan G
- Mutual of Omaha Plan G coverage with a high-deductible requires you to pay an initial deductible of $2,700 before your coverage begins; however, all other aspects are identical to the standard Plan G.
Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan F
- Cigna Medicare Plan F offers the most complete coverage on the market, including Part A deductible, Medicare Part B deductible and all applicable coinsurances. With this plan in place, you can rest assured that your health costs are covered.
- If you wish to obtain the benefits, it is essential that your enrollment in Original Medicare occurred before January 1st, 2020.
How Much Does a Medigap Plan Cost in California?
The best price for Medicare Supplement Plan G in California is $155.87 per month with Cigna.
Your age and plan choice will have the most significant impact on your premium.
Here you can see how the prices compare for several different plans:
High Deductible G
Plan Popularity in California
Quotes are for sample purposes only. Prices are the average monthly rate in California for a 65-year-old female nonsmoker. Part B start date and or medical underwriting may affect your rate.
When can I apply for a Medicare Supplement plan?
Medigap Open Enrollment Period
Age 65 and up
Eligibility for enrollment in Medigap policies in California begins the month you are 65 – or older – and enrolled in Medicare Part B. This period is called your Medigap Open Enrollment Period and lasts for six months.
The Medigap Open Enrollment Period (OEP) is the best time to enroll in Medigap in California. During OEP you can get a plan even if you have pre-existing conditions.
The effective date for your new plan is the first day of the month following your application.
Younger than 65
Federal law doesn’t require a Medicare insurance company to sell Medigap to people under age 65. However, in California, if you receive Social Security disability benefits or have end-stage renal disease and Medicare coverage, you can purchase at least one type of Medicare Supplement plan.
If you qualify, your OEP begins after you have received Social Security disability benefits for 25 months (non-consecutive).
Outside OEP with Guaranteed Issue Rights
In California, you can purchase a Medicare Supplement insurance policy if you have Guaranteed Issue Rights.
In this case, private health insurance companies are required by law to:
- Sell you a Medigap insurance policy
- Cover any health condition
- NOT charge more
You may qualify for these rights if you have comparative health coverage that changes.
The Annual Election Period (AEP)
The AEP runs from October 15th to December 7th. Medicare beneficiaries can enroll in Medicare Advantage or a Medicare Part D plan.
California Medicare Supplement Birthday Rule
If you are enrolled in a Medigap plan in California, the birthday rule allows you 60 days of open enrollment for Medigap every year after your birthday.
During this time you can:
- Purchase a new Medigap plan
- Avoid medical screening when you switch plans
- Avoid a new waiting period
To be eligible, enrollees must:
- Live in California
- Be currently enrolled in a Medicare Supplement plan in California
- Switch to plans that have equal or lesser benefits
- Switch before the 60-day period ends
California State Resources
- Medi-Cal – Have you noticed those cost-sharing expenses on your Medicare outline of coverage? This program for low-income seniors may help you pay those expenses plus your Part B premiums.
- Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP) – Receive free counseling regarding all aspects of Medicare and long-term care in California. Benefits are available to Medicare participants, their loved ones and anyone soon to enroll in Medicare.
Can I Qualify for Extra Help If I’m Low Income?
Extra Help is a nationwide program that helps seniors and Medicare-eligible disabled residents cover their Medicare Part D deductibles, co-pays and premiums. If you are struggling to pay those expenses on top of your Medigap premium, you can apply through your local Social Security office or with the online form. The amount of help that you receive will depend on your income.
Call to speak with a licensed insurance agent now.(888) 414-4547
Or enter your zip code to shop online