Medicare Advantage Plans in Mississippi
Medicare Advantage in Mississippi often referred to as Medicare Part C, is designed to replace Original Medicare yet offer additional coverage simultaneously. When you enroll in Medicare Part A and Part B, you can change to a Medicare Advantage plan in 2022, which will allow you access to more comprehensive coverage.
Along with the extra benefits, a primary difference between Medicare Advantage and the alternatives is that the insurance provider that offers the plan, rather than the federal government, will be responsible for your plan's administrative and claims aspects. To ensure you qualify for Medicare Advantage, you must pay your Part B premium on time.
Top-rated Medicare Advantage Providers in Mississippi
- Aetna Medicare.
- Lasso Healthcare.
- Vantage Health Plan.
- WellCare by Allwell.
Popular Medicare Advantage Plan Types in Mississippi
Mississippi healthcare providers offer several types of Medicare Advantage plans, including standard HMO and PPO plans. You can determine your plan eligibility by speaking with one of our insurance agents.
Best Network Freedom: Medicare Advantage PPO
- Most PPO plans require a monthly premium, which could range from $0-$100 each month
- The main advantages of choosing a PPO plan include no referrals and access to an extensive network of healthcare providers
Best for Lowest Out-of-Pocket: Medicare Advantage HMO Plan
- Most HMO plans offer $0 monthly premiums
- Since HMO plans use a referral network, your out-of-pocket costs will be lower
Best for Low Income or Health Conditions: Medicare Advantage D-SNP (dual eligible special needs plans)
- If you sign up for Medicare and Medicaid at once, you can reduce your expenses for premiums, copays, deductibles, and coinsurance
- Should be considered by people with chronic health diseases and a low income
Mississippi Enrollment Facts:
People currently enrolled in Mississippi Medicare Advantage plans – 104,174
Medicare Advantage members by plan type –
- Local HMO – 58,455
- Local PPO – 17,749
- Regional PPO – 26,878
Percentage of people enrolled in Mississippi Medicare Advantage – 27%
Number of people who have joined a Medicare Advantage plan nationwide – 19,838,319
Percentage of people who have joined a Medicare Advantage plan nationwide – 42%
How much do Medicare Advantage Plans in Mississippi cost?
If you’re looking for a Medicare Advantage plan in Mississippi, most HMO plans carry a monthly premium of $0. You can also sign up for PPO plans that offer the same $0 monthly premium. However, PPO plans usually have higher premiums than HMO plans. The average price for a Mississippi Medicare Advantage plan is $17.98.
How much do Advantage Plans cost in Mississippi?
PPO Plan $0.00 to $17.98
HMO Plan $0.00
When can I enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan?
You can enroll in Medicare Advantage Plans in Mississippi during six separate periods throughout the year. However, you may not be eligible for every enrollment period.
Initial Enrollment Period
This Period is a 7-month period that begins three months prior to turning 65, the month of your birthday, and three months after turning 65.
For instance, if you turn 65 in July, you can join a Medicare Advantage plan in the three months before your birthday, during July, and during the three months following your birthday, meaning you have seven months to enroll.
Annual Election Period (AEP)
This enrollment period is open from October 15 until December 7. While the Annual Election Period is ongoing, you can gain more comprehensive Medicare coverage with a Medicare Advantage plan, join a Part D plan or make other changes.
Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period
This enrollment period is open from January 1 and closes on March 31. You can take this time to go back to Original Medicare or to change from your current Medicare Advantage plan to another Medicare Advantage plan that offers low premiums or better benefits.
Special Enrollment Periods – Special Circumstances
Three special circumstances could allow you to qualify for a special enrollment period. These circumstances include:
- Moving out of your service area
- Being eligible for Medicaid and Medicare
- Medicare deciding to end coverage for a specific plan
5-Star Special Enrollment Period
From December 8 until November 30, you can switch from one Medicare Advantage plan to another if the other plan has a five-star rating.
Special Enrollment Periods if You Get “Extra Help”
If you are currently enrolled in SPAP (state pharmaceutical assistance programs), eligible for drug plan assistance, or eligible for Medicare plans and Medicaid options, you may qualify for “Extra Help”. These special enrollment periods are open from:
Medicare Advantage Highlights:
The standard monthly Part B premium is $164.90 in 2023.
The annual Part B deducible is $226 in 2023.
The top benefits of choosing a Mississippi Medicare Advantage plan include:
- Medicare Advantage plans have been increasing in popularity over the past decade
- Nearly every one of these plans is tied to a contained network of doctors and hospitals
- Your Medicare Advantage benefits are administered by an insurance company and not the federal government
- If you notice an “MAPD” plan, these are Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug plans that offer expansive prescription drug benefits
- Many plans offer convenient benefits that can’t be found in Medigap or Original Medicare plans, which include everything from vision, hearing, and dental care to meal delivery services and allowances for OTC medications
Ready to Learn More?
We help educate Medicare beneficiaries on their Medicare Advantage options and help them go through the process of reviewing and comparing plans. We work with most of the nation’s top-rated Medicare Advantage carriers. Give us a call today, or request a quote online to learn more about plan options.
Call to speak with a licensed insurance agent now.(888) 414-4547
Or enter your zip code to shop online